9/12/07

Damn we're smooth


I am still relatively new to the sport of running. So to the veterans out there, when does the word "Fartlek" stop being so funny? My husband and I (whose combined maturity is about that of a 12 year-old-boy) both snicker mightily every time one of us says that word.

Yesterday was a giggle-inducing Fartlek workout. 3.63 miles, 35:00. For those who might not be in the know, Fartlek is Swedish for "speed play." Here is a rundown that I ganked from Cool Running (Australia):


Fartlek is a form of road running or cross country running in which the runner, usually solo, varies the pace significantly during the run. It is usually regarded as an advanced training technique, for the experienced runner who has been using interval training to develop speed and to raise the anaerobic threshold.

See that, according to their definition, I was doing an advanced training technique. And I'm only 10 days into my official training for the marathon. I feel like Doogie Howser, had he been a fake runner instead of a fake doctor.

I did a 10 minute warm up and my usual pace, and the bumped it up for :30, 1:30, and 2:30 intervals. My overall average per mile pace was 9:38 instead of my usual 10:20ish. So I was still nowhere close to what some would call "fast" or even "kinda fast," but I enjoyed pushing myself during the run.

(This post did send me to Google more than once to look up some Beavis and Butthead stuff. The quote page from IMDB was especially amusing.)

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Haha, I love that Fartlek made you google Beavis and Butthead.

Nicole said...

I don't think Fartleks ever become not funny! Nice Blog & good luck on your marathon.
btw, your dog is adorable! :)