7/21/08

Show on the Road

10 whole miles last week - WOOT!

I spent my Saturday working for a very well known public television joint that provides appraisals of antiques, collectibles, and random crap. Aside from the big plus of getting paid for work, it was perfect for people watching. They came out of the woodwork for this big event, and they came with their "valuables" in tow in some of the most interesting vehicles. Lots of red wagons, rolling suitcases, some cart-like creations made of PVC and old training wheels, and a grocery cart. And people did actually bring in some pretty valuable stuff. I experienced actually feeling my jaw drop when I heard the appraisal price of $250,000 for a diamond necklace that was about two feet from myself.

Out of the massive crowd at the convention center, it was easy to spot the appraisers. They were all like a dressed up version of Comic Book Store Guy from the Simpsons. And by dressed up, I mean they might actually be just like Comic Book Store Guy, but they found and old suit to wear for the day just in case they got tabbed to be on TV. Except for the famous ones - those guys were dressed in suits nicer than what my husband wore for our wedding (and I bet they didn't rent their suits from Men's Wearhouse either).

All in all, it was a great time. The full-time crew that I worked with was one of the nicest and several of them said I was some of the best local crew they had worked with (although I have a feeling they tend to start out with lowered expectations of local crews, so I can come in and do a fairly decent job and come out looking like a rock star).

I'm off to drink my coffee now, in a mug that would bring around $4 at auction (or $8 were it sold in a gallery and it didn't have a chip out of the handle).

No comments: