9/30/08

Home again

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it? Things are good, and still busy. We made a trek eastward last week to our old stomping grounds. After a nice stopover lunch with Gnumoon and her husband, it was on to Raleigh. I never really was a huge fan of being in a bigger city. But having spent the last two years in a considerably smaller city made the dislike of so many people (and so much traffic) that much for glaring.

We rolled into town right at 5:00, but thankfully the afternoon traffic was moving along at a decent pace. We both marveled at the number of new shopping centers and road widening projects. I also thanked the lord fervently that I don't have a commute anymore. I used to have about a 40 mile round trip daily, and now I have about 8 miles round trip and that's only a few days a week. It is really a nice area and I never disliked it, but where we are now is a much better fit for us. Although I am sure in 20 years the urban sprawl of Atlanta will have made it's way 120 miles north to us.

We tooled around town for several days. We visited with friends. We ate. We took in a pre-season hockey game (which we left at the 2nd intermission due to headache and home team getting worked). We ate some more. I spent about three hours (that's daily) at various shopping centers looking for a dress to wear to the Hub's reunion. At the 11th hour I finally settled on some very cute slacks. I will wear the pants again, and I really couldn't bring myself to drop very much money on a dress that I would mostly likely only wear this one time. I had hoped maybe I would be all fashion forward at this reunion, with my pants-instead-of-a-dress ensemble, but I really was not. I did miss the memo however that I should have worn dark-rinse jeans and a satin tank top. I'm guessing that is the new Saturday night out uniform.

The reunion was very nice. It was much better than I had expected it to be, honestly. I didn't know anyone there except for my husband, but I found plenty of people to talk too. Especially that boozy girl with no self-esteem that was sitting across from me. She was very, "Oh, you are Brian's wife. Let me have some more wine and tell you about why I am working for my dad and why my roommate kicked me out of her wedding last year. More wine?"

We hit the road bright and early Sunday AM. After a quick stop for lunch and dog retrival at my parents' house, we finished the last leg of the trip. I am glad to be home and more glad than ever that this is my home.

Oh, and I got in a few quality runs while I was in North Carolina. One of them was even with the Hubs! Our first run together EVER. I don't see it happening again soon, but it was fun.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Sounds like a fun reunion. I love talking to the drunk chicks. They are very entertaining.

Congrats on the run with the hubby too! That's great! Maybe you can get him addicted.

And you're right, it IS KUDZU! Thanks for reminding me. I looked it up online and it was introduced to this country when Japan brought it to Philadelphia. Too funny.