8/20/07

The Reverend Run*

*With sincere apologies to Rev

I think I have read all the "I've Signed Up for a Marathon - Now What??" books, along with the topic umbrella "Runner's Universe Book of What's Up with Your Sleek New Runner's Body" publications. Yet I still cruise the running section of the bookstore for a new book. Maybe one will reveal to me the super-secret runner's handshake - or do I learn that after I get my marathon finisher's medal?

I picked up Running the Spiritual Path, by Roger Joslin. I've always been a somewhat spiritual person. Born and raised in the Presbyterian Church, and I still manage to go to several services throughout the year (and not just on Christmas and Easter). It's a somehow casual, but serious at the same time, relationship that I have with my faith and I feel very happy and secure with it, but I still ponder quite a bit about what else is out there. Like I kind of picture God, Buddah, insert-your-own-diety all "up there" together kind of laughing that we are always fighting about them down here. I believe in a singular God for myself, but at the same time I feel kind of arrogant to be like "Hey, I'm worshiping the right guy. The rest of you are all wrong." I also think it is arrogant to believe that in this whole entire universe we here on earth are the only life forms. So maybe that is kind of the same thing.

OKAY, back to the book. I have only scanned it thus far, but I saw some points that I really like. It is kind of a "how to" manual as far as meditation (prayer) while running. I haven't been on a run by myself lately, so I haven't gotten to try it out yet. I would have a hard time talking to my running buddies and God at the same time. Plus it would seem weird to me somehow to try to be that deep whilst on a treadmill. So maybe if God would drop the temperature here a few degrees so that I could run outside without dehydrating after 52 seconds, he and I could have some serious conversations!

Most of this post is just me thinking out loud. If you are a lurker and want to get into some big theological debate, just go elsewhere, because I won't debate back. Thanks.

2 comments:

adamhill said...

Have you ever read Blue Like Jazz? It's by Donald Miller. My company published it but even if we didn't I'd recommend it big time.

Before I'm 35 said...

That looks interesting. Thanks for the rec!