3/26/08

Graham Crackers and Marshmallow Covered in Chocolate are All I need


Since I am pretty certain I won't be doing the half marathon in a month, I did decide that I needed SOMETHING on my race calendar. Enter (stage left) The RC Cola Moon Pie 10 Miler.

I wanted to do this race last year, but for some reason never got around to it. The course description reads as follows:
Course is 10 miles, with a 2 1/2 hour time limit for all. Terrain is continuous gently rolling hills with one BIG ONE at the 4 1/4 mile marker. All paved, soft black-top from mile 2 to 7.5 mile.

Google research has told me that the big hill is very big and very painful, and also that traditionally this is a very hot, humid race. Last year they had about 1,000 participants, so it is a good sized event too. It is about a 90 minute drive from my home to scenic Bell Buckle (pop. 405), so I don't know if I will go a day early and get a hotel room, or if I will get up and leave here at 4 am to go race. I did get up at like 3:30 for the marathon, so I could do it.

But I am loving the idea of the post-race refreshments of a "Generous buffet featuring RC Cola and Moon Pies, biscuits, baked goods." And RCs and Moon Pies are so especially Southern. The 10 mile event is actually part of a whole day festival to celebrate the yummy pair. The festival includes what every small-town festival in the South has: clogging, and based on last year's festival schedule, lots of it. But they also have the crowning of the RC King and the Moon Pie Queen, art booths (both fine and crap), and I would guess lots of fried foods. And this one has the cutting and serving of the world's largest Moon Pie.

Yeah, I'm down with that.

1 comment:

*jen* said...

Hi there, I just found your blog, it's good stuff! I was thinking about doing the RC Cola Moon Pie run as well. I'll be moving to Nashville in early May and have been looking for races. That one caught my eye. Anyway, happy running.