3/3/08

I got to say it was a good day

Yesterday was a wonderful birthday. I am thinking maybe the best one to date. I had a Cinnamon Crunch bagel and coffee waiting for me when I came downstairs in the morning. As previously posted, some of the dorm girls decorated our apartment door. While I was half-expecting it, the gesture ended up touching me much more than I thought it would. They left me a crown than I wore most of the morning as well. I got to spend some time at a middle school swim team banquet - not the most fun thing, but there was cake.

We had one of those freakishly beautiful days here yesterday - 70, sunny, and a slight breeze. We took the dog for a long walk on campus. Then we sat on our porch and drank in the view, the sun, and a few beers. The day was topped by a trip to dinner with some friends. It really was the most hoopla I've had for a birthday in probably 20 years. AND my mother remembered this year, so that was a nice touch!

On my birthday last year, I had a six mile run on schedule for my half-marathon training. I was terrified to do that run. Longest run in my lifetime at that point. I had been on the treadmill since January, but I knew it was time to get outside. As luck would have it, I was in Charleston, so I figured it was as good a time as any, what with the lack of hills and the pretty scenery.

I had mapped out my exactly-six mile route. But I had forgotten my change for the meter, so I had to drive down to the battery area for the free parking. I figured I would just run for an hour, and hopefully I would cover my mileage in that time. Beautiful day, comfortable weather, new shuffle playing tunes. I waved at carriages full of tourists. When I got back to my car, I had been going for 70 minutes. Back at the hotel I mapped the route and I came out to 6.5 miles. I was quite floored that I had done it, and that I felt as good as I did.

So in honor of last years' monumental run, I decided that I would do the Second Annual Birthday 10.460736-K Run. It might be easier to call it a Birthday 6.5 Miler, but that doesn't rhyme.

But I felt like drinking beer on my birthday, so I did the 10.460736 today. I shattered my old time by a whopping 2:23. Hell sí.

1 comment:

My Life said...

"my mother remembered this year..." ohhh poor you! ;) and I love the "hell si" at the end. Considering my company around here... I should really start saying that!