4/20/08

Rubbin' is Racin'


Saturday I was in a Dragon Boat race and it looked absolutely nothing like the picture above. For one, we were in the back. The way back. And the combined weight of our team (20 members) was approximately 3,600 pounds, whereas the approximate weight of a real professional Dragon Boat team is about 36 pounds. But it was still a good way to spend a sunshiney Saturday. And we had way more fun than those smug "winners" and other boats that didn't finish in "dead last place." I wish I could say that it was a good workout, but the actual race time (we did two races) was about 3 minutes total.

I got 5 miles in on Friday. 51 minutes. No speed records, but it was nice to have that kind of distance again. Second longest run in four months. I was very fired up about some things here in boarding school land so the run was a great reminder for me as to just how therapeutic getting out there can really be. I'm a fairly laid back person. If I had the personality to get fired up more often, would I be a be logging like 40 miles per week? Maybe I need to go into more things with a bad attitude and see if I, in turn, have to go run more to blow off steam. I can't imagine this would be a well-supported training philosophy by people who know about this kind of thing. Nor would it be much fun for my husband.

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

I've always wondered about these types of races. It looks fun. I'd rather be with the fun team that finished last too. They do something like this in Philadelphia every year.