6/10/08

How Did I Miss This?


I lived in Raleigh for two years. I worked about a mile from the N.C. State campus. I love Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (Dunkin' Donuts, your doughnuts aren't any good - there, I said it).

The Krispy Kreme Challenge

Run two miles
Eat a dozen hot glazed
Run two miles back

Sure I would throw up. But how great is that? I may have to "visit the in-laws" next year just in time for the event. This past year, they raised $20,000 and had 3,000+ runners.

SI even noticed it (two years ago - again, how did I miss this?) -

85. Run the Krispy Kreme Challenge at NC State. Two years ago, in a fit of sugar-coated inspiration, Wolfpack basketball guard Chris McCoy dreamed up a race tailor-made for the Peter Griffin set. The plan: Run from the campus bell tower downhill two miles to the Krispy Kreme store in Raleigh, where each runner would scarf down a dozen glazed doughnuts and then dash back uphill to the tower, in under 60 minutes. (The irony: McCoy, a redshirt sophomore, overslept on race day and didn't participate.) The other 10 runners successfully completed the inaugural race -- junior Ben Gaddy took home bragging rights -- but not without some gut reactions. "The first two doughnuts are delicious, but then your saliva starts to turn into a syrupy glaze," says organizer Greg Mulholland. "When you're running back, it feels like the syrup's coming through your pores." Mulholland, a junior, aspires to turn the race into a charitable event, "maybe for something ironic like the American Heart Association."

No comments: