7/31/08

The Gun Show

I am sure I have loved on my kettlebells class on my blog quite a bit, but here it is again.

It has been quite some time since I have been this sore from a workout, but today I walking is quite the chore. I did my usual kettlebells class last night and our instructor must have been in some kind of mood last night. Our musical selection for the class was a techno/death metal band that he claims the Germans who lift weights listen to (what.the.hell?). We did our usual warm up and then went right into what I like to call "Death Row." Simply put, it involves 20 swings/squats at each of five different weights - start with the 25 pound kettle bell, and eventually finishing up at the 70 pound kettlebell. THEN, we do it again, but starting at the heavy end of the line. It's a beast. Every week we finish class by doing a bear walk across the floor (with 50 extra pounds tacked on to yourself) - did not happen this week.

We added some squats and lunges and some double arm presses. I can now press 36 pounds for two minutes - I know I rest in there somewhere, but I am still proud of this. Thirty-six pounds doesn't seem like much, but it is rough for two minutes. It felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest when I was done. We did some crazy abdominal stuff and I am thinking there might be some muscles down there after all.

I found out last night that there is a class on Saturday mornings as well. One of the other women last night told me that they do some more intense work and that there are usually only guys there (no workouts for our dainty lady core muscles), but I may still check it out. She did tell me that one time she went and our crazy instructor made them go out to the parking lot and pull "stuff." There is a train yard in close proximity, so maybe they pulled locomotives or something. It's like the ultra-feather weight division of world's strongest lady competition.

And here is some video of people who are in much better shape than me and who get to do their workout on the beach as opposed to the basement of a community center.

No comments: