10/31/07

MOVE!

Before the big run on Monday, I made a quick stop at local outdoorsy outfitters store to get a fancy water bottle. I would have gone to the running store, but I think the guy in there thinks I'm a moron. Whenever I ask him questions, he answers like he is "Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy." I will never again make the mistake of asking if he likes Cliff Shot Bloks or Gu better. He might as well have just said "DUUUUUUH-HUH. I like Gu, like every other person who isn't a complete noob." (HIS thought, not mine).

I have been hesitant to go with a Fuel Belt. I can't stand to have a shirt tied around my waist, so I would imagine that I would have a problem with 16-32 oz. of water bouncing around that area. As my long runs get longer I may have to suck it up and use one, but for now I will be using the Ultimate Direction FastDraw Plus. It holds 20 oz. and the little zipper compartment can hold a GU, driver's license, and a car key. It's a tight fit, but that's all I need to take with me at this point. Apparently the big deal is that this water bottle has the "kicker valve" which just means that you can only half-way push the valve down and it will just fall into place on its own (the website calls this "hands-free retraction"). We runners really must be conserving all the energy that we can, you know. If you really want to know more about this marvel of modern running technology, the folks at Ultimate Direction have a very well written description of the kicker valve, which you can find here.

I didn't really notice the water bottle during the run, so that means it must be A-Okay. I did have a bit of soreness on one of my hands when I first started out, but that subsided as I kept going and changed which hand the bottle was in every so often.

Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

1 comment:

My Life said...

I have this water bottle too, and while it took me some time to get used to it (don't like carrying things), I love it now. (& I love how much you can cram into that little pouch! Don't forget the tissue! ;)) I hardly notice it anymore too, but my thumb started falling asleep on this past 8 miler. Weird.

For the marathon training I used a fuel belt, which if you have the right size, won't bounce. It took some getting used to, but I think it was better for me on the long runs.