3/11/08

Good Friday (but on a Tuesday)

Okay, I think my emo-funk is on its way out. Yesterday I was having a ridiculous day-long pity party for myself. I don't feel like running, I can't find a decent job, I feel completely uncomfortable in my own skin ... one of those kinds of pity parties. The kind that you don't feel even the slightest bit of satisfaction in. Some days it can feel good to wallow in a bad mood, and even to spread it around, but was not the case for this bad mood.

And the most random thing changed my mood around. For absolutely no reason that I can think of, as I was reading in bed at 10:00 last night, I thought to myself, "Self, you know, you haven't listened to The Black Crowes in a while." SO RANDOM. The hubs had ESPN on in the background - maybe they used a snipped of one of their songs for a highlight. I dunno.

I got on the ol' iTunes and immediately purchased the album Three Snakes and One Charm, one that I used to own, but wore the cassette tape out on sometime in 1999. (It took me quite a while to make the move to CDs). I previewed all of the tracks and was in the best mood after that. I wanted to go out for a drive just so that I could listen to and belt out the music at the top of my completely musically un-gifted voice. I was so giddy that it took me longer than usual to go to sleep.

I also ended up buying the new album that they released just last week, Warpaint. And the single "Seeing Things", which was a very popular song in my life when I was getting over a very bad break-up.

I loaded up the Shuffle and went for a nice four-mile run this morning. I walked a bit, so I was able to get through most of the Three Snakes album. It was quite the trip down memory lane. I remembered how much I love some of the songs on there, including "Under the Mountain" and "Good Friday" (another good break-up song). I got a good chuckle out of the remembered teenage angst of 1996-97. And the song "(Only) Halfway to Everywhere" was a good running tune.

I hope to be able to listen to the Warpaint album on a run on Thursday.

In case you can't tell, I have completely forgotten my AP Style guidelines for album and song titles. So I just went with italics and quotation marks. I can only hope that Dr. Tyrie never comes across my blog - automatic "minus 20" all over the place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happened upon your blog. Must say the guitarist from one of my favorite bands (North Mississippi Allstars) recently joined Black Crowes...

I see you are running CM half-I am running the full...see ya there!